The mission of Humanex Academy is to support neurodiverse students looking for a safe and supportive community where they can celebrate their strengths and uniqueness, while stepping away from a deficit focused approach. What all our students have in common is the need for a place to be around peers that are like themselves. This allows for both academic and social interactions. Where it is safe to make mistakes and where conflict, disagreement, and resolution, are possible with embedded adult coaching. At Humanex, we focus on students’ strengths, the need to maintain momentum in areas of success, and the importance of maintaining a safe space for them to approach areas of challenge.
Our academic environment tends to be a quiet one. Our students most broadly can be defined as Internalizers, where they feel things profoundly and their response to frustration or overwhelm tends to be held inside, rather than express through external behavior responses.
Students come to us with diagnoses such as ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), Anxiety, ADHD, and a wide range of learning disabilities including executive functioning challenges. Additionally, many of our students are identified as Twice Exceptional (2E), where they present with areas of great strength and co-occurring areas of weakness, which can make it challenging to consistently tap into those strength areas.
Humanex Students meet the following academic, social, and behavioral criteria:
- A desire to engage and participate in the Humanex Academy community.
- Benefit from a school program that focuses equally on academic and social growth.
- Ability to positively interact with peers and adults within a building.
- Ability to take redirection and support from staff as needed.
In order for us to maintain our program effectively and meet the needs of our student population, Humanex Academy does not accept students who:
- Require intensive one-on-one academic support.
- Have recent history or significant disruptive behavior or physical aggression within the school environment.
- Are currently using drugs or alcohol.